Asia Society of Oklahoma was organized in the spring of 1985 immediately following a successful Asian Pacific Heritage Week by the Asian Pacific Islanders of Tinker Air Force Base. ASO welcomes people of various backgrounds and heritages in support of the ASO mission:
To further knowledge of Asian heritage and culture.
At the organization meeting, K.C. Mui, Ph.D. was elected Chairman, Walter Charles Moore, J.D., Vice President, Pamela Johnson as secretary, and Cu Nguyen as treasurer. In 2001, Based on Hossein Sarjeh-Payma, Ph.D. recommendation, the Board of Directors approved to expand its goals and change the name to Asia Society of Oklahoma, Inc. in order to comply with tax exemption under Section 501(c)(3).
Our Goals and Objectives
The Asia Society of Oklahoma, Inc.(ASO) is an umbrella organization with a membership composed of the following countries: China, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Korea, Philippenes, Taiwan, and Vietnam. Each country has up to four representatives on the Board of Directors of ASO. The major objectives of Asia Society of Oklahoma, Inc. can be summarized as:
- Provide educational programs or assistance to those organizations in promoting and developing effective programs pertinent to teaching, studying and promoting better understanding of the Asian heritage, culture and customs.
- Promote Asian arts, foster friendship, and advance social relationships and the interchange of ideas and information between the people of Asia, members of the Asia Society of Oklahoma, and the people of the State of Oklahoma.
- Create and facilitate a deeper sense of community among Asian societies and to encourage better relations between different Asian communities and those groups with other cultural backgrounds through an exchange of ideas, information, and experiences.
- Engage systematic studies, cooperative experiments, conferences and other related activities as may be desirable or necessary to fulfill the above stated purposes.
- Fulfill purposes specified in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, including the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
ASO & You
We hope you look around at the simple, yet informative, website. Our Photos and Events pages are updated with pictures and information recurrently. We look forward to seeing you at ASO events and ASO sponsored events held throughout the years. We wish you peace.
Website created by ASO © 2011 | Template design by AV